Your Social Security Card: Change Your Name on it

Change Your Name on Your Social Security CardAfter you change your name through the court process, you need to change your name on your Social Security card.

Here are step-by-step instructions for changing your name on your social security card:

Step 1:   You need your court order changing your name. You should also bring to the Social Security Office your original Passport which shows evidence of U.S. citizenship. You will also need to change your name on your Passport.

Step 2:  Complete an Application for a Social Security card.

Step 3:  Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security Office or your local Social Security Card Center.

Your documents must be originals or certified copies. The Social Security Administration will not accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. If you mail your application and documents to the Social Security Administration, they will be mailed back to you.

Once your documents have been verified, it takes about ten (10) days for SAA to issue a new Social Security card. The new card will have the same number as the old card, but the new card will show your new name.

Don’t wait to change your name on your social security card after you receive your name change order from the court.

Haven’t legally changed your name yet?  Start the process now!

Posted in Social Security Administration | Leave a comment

Georgia Adult or Minor Name Change: Forms and Procedures

Information and Procedures for Georgia Adult and Minor Name Change

Georgia Adult or Minor Name Change

This blog post describes the procedures and forms required for a Georgia Adult or Minor Change.

Georgia Minor Name Change

In Georgia, the process for obtaining a name change for a minor begins with the filing of a Petition to Change Name of a Minor which sets forth the reasons for the change, by the parent or guardian of the minor, with the Superior Court in the jurisdiction in which the minor resides. The Petitioner must attach to the Petition a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate. The Court requires that a notice be published to announce the Petition to the public shortly after the Petition is originally filed.

A hearing date will be set, within thirty to sixty days, where the Petition will be fully examined and any objections to the Petition will be heard.

During the interim, any adult who has a legal right to notification of the Petition (such as a parent, legal guardian, etc.) shall be given proper direct notice by the Petitioner. This is referred to as Service of Process. After these requirements have been met, the Petitioner and minor shall appear before the court at the Hearing to offer proof of these efforts.

The Court will hear any objections to the Petition offered by third parties and review the Petition. If everything is in order and the Court agrees to the intent and nature of the Petition, the Court will sign an Order making the name change official. For an order of name change to be granted, the Court must find sufficient reasons for the change and also find it consistent with the public interest.

Georgia Adult Name Change Instructions

A Georgia Adult Name Change is not that complicated and can be done without the assistance of an attorney. Any adult who wants to change their name in Georgia must first file a petition with the Superior Court of the county of his or her residence setting forth the reasons for the change. Within seven days of the petition being filed, the petitioner shall publish a notice of the name change, signed by the petitioner, in the official legal newspaper for the county where (s)he resides. The publication of the name change must be published once a week for four weeks.  After thirty days from the filing of the petition, and after proof to the court of publication of the notice required is made, if no objection is filed, the court shall proceed at chambers at such date as the court shall fix to hear and determine all matters raised by the petition and to render final judgment or decree thereon.

You can refer to Georgia’s Name Change statutes at our Georgia Name Change Law Center web page.

Requirements to Georgia Adult Name Change

The only way someone can obtain a Name Change in the State of Georgia is if the change of name is being requested by someone who has been a resident of the State of Georgia for a minimum of six (6) months, and if the change is not for the purpose of fraud.

You must be a resident of Georgia in order for a Georgia Court to have jurisdiction to hear your case. You will file this action in the county where you reside. You MUST have been a resident of Georgia for a MINIMUM of SIX MONTHS. If you are a resident of a Military Base in the State of Georgia, then you must be a resident of the State of Georgia for a minimum of one year.


To purchase Georgia Name Change Forms with complete instructions, click here

Fill out the Petition to Change Name (of an Adult), the Verification form to go with the Petition and the Notice of Petition to Change Name form.  Note: You should not fill in the blank next to “Civil Action File No:” because the clerk will assign your case a number when you file the Petition.  Also, please note that the date that you are signing this document may be the same date that you file it.  Make a copy of each of the forms. You will keep the copies for your records and bring them to court with you when you come to get your final decree.

In order for your Change of Name to be processed correctly, certain documents must be Certified by a Notary Public. This means that you must take the Verification form to a Notary Public, take an oath administered by the Notary Public (an oath is where you swear that the documents are true and correct), and get the Notary Public’s official seal on your documents.

Most banks have a Notary Public on staff that will be able to help you.  The fee is usually not more than a few dollars or less per document.

Important Note!  Make sure to have your documents Certified.  Failure to do so is the most common reason for being denied a Change of Name.


To begin the process, the Petition, the Verification, and the Notice of Petition to Change Name forms must be filed in the clerk’s office in the county of the Petitioner’s residence.  These forms should be hand delivered to the Clerk of the Court in the county or city where you reside.  To find the address of the clerk’s office in your County courthouse go to the Georgia Superior Court Clerks’ Cooperative Authority web site at: or you can look in the government (blue) pages of your telephone book.  If you need directions to the courthouse or the hours that the courthouse is open, call the Clerk at the number listed in the web site or provided in the phone book.


The first filing will include:

  1. The Petition to Change Name
  2. The Verification; and
  3. The Notice of Petition to Change Name

Some courts will also require that you file a Civil Case Initiation Form and a Civil Case Disposition Form.  These forms are included below if you need them.

For the Civil Case Initiation Form leave the space below the word “Defendant(s)” blank, since there is no Defendant in this type of action.  Also, below your name and address section, the form asks for information about your attorney.  Since you are not going to be represented by an attorney, simply write “None, Pro Se” in that section. (Leave the space for attorney information under the “Defendant” blank).  Lastly, put a check mark in the left hand column on the space next to “Other Cause of Action”, and on the line below simply write “Name Change”.

All that should be needed for the Civil Case Disposition Form is that you enter the name of the county in the space provided (in the upper left hand side).  Again, since you are not going to be represented by an attorney, simply write “None, Pro Se” in the attorney information section.

The clerk will require a filing fee.  The filing fee is approximately $65.00.  You should call the Clerk of the Court to find out the amount and what methods of payment will be accepted.


Within typically seven (7) days of filing the Petition to Change Name with the Superior Court, you must have the Notice of Petition to Change Name (signed by you) published in the official legal newspaper of your county.

When you file the Petition to Change Name, ask the Clerk of the Court which newspaper is the official legal newspaper of your county.  The Notice of Petition to Change Name must be published once a week for four weeks.  The charge for publication varies from county to county and is dependent upon the newspaper in which you will publish your notice.  For specific information regarding costs and methods of payment, you should contact the newspaper in which the notice will be published.

When you take the Notice of Petition to Change Name to the newspaper to be published, bring with you the Publisher’s Affidavit.  The newspaper will need to complete this form, have it notarized, and send it to the Clerk’s office after you meet the publication requirements.   Some newspapers will return the affidavit to you, stating the dates the notice ran, as opposed to sending it to the court.  If the completed affidavit is given to you as opposed to being sent to the courthouse, take the form to the clerk’s office.

Important Note: Check the newspaper to make sure that your notice is being published.


Thirty (30) days after the petition is filed and the notice has been published once a week for four weeks, you can ask the court to enter a Decree of Name Change.  The court shall proceed at chambers on such date as the court shall hear and determine all matters raised by the petition and to render final judgment or decree thereon.  While you are waiting for the thirty (30) day period to expire, be certain to complete the Final Decree Changing the Name of an Adult form.

When you get to court, find out the name of the presiding judge and go to that judge’s chambers. You must bring with you the following documents:

  1. Your original petition and a copy of all the other forms;
  2. Proof that the notice was published; and
  3. The Final Decree Changing the Name of an Adult form for the judge to sign.

Tell the judge’s secretary/assistant that you are there for a name change action. When you go into the judge’s chambers, the judge will have you swear to the truth of what you will say.  The judge may then make a few opening remarks pertaining to your case or the paperwork in your file and will ask you to present your case. Begin by stating your name and that you are the petitioner. Next, begin to recite the facts of your case as they are listed in the main body of your Petition including;

  1. Your name.
  2. Your county of residence.
  3. That you are asking the judge to grant a name change.
  4. What your birth date is and that you are 18 years old or older.
  5. That you want to change your name from what to what.
  6. The reason you want to change your name.
  7. That you are not changing your name with the intent to defraud any one.

If the judge has any questions, answer them as briefly as possible.  When this part of the hearing is over, the judge should sign the order granting the change of name.  Thank the judge and leave.

Then ask the judge to sign the form decree for you.  Once the judge has signed your decree, take the decree to the clerk’s office and ask for a certified copy of it. This is proof that your name has officially changed.

Georgia Adult or Minor Name Change
Purchase Georgia Name Change Forms for an Adult or Child with complete instructions, click here

© SmartLegalForms, 2016, All Rights Reserved.

Posted in Georgia Name Change Information | Leave a comment

Virginia Name Change for an Adult: Buy Forms Here

A Virginia Name Change is not difficult to do if you follow these instructions carefully.

Virginia courts are often willing to accept name changes for almost any legitimate reason. However, the granting of an Application for Change of Name (“Application”) is discretionary with the Court, and the Court may deny an Application (also known as a Petition) on grounds which would not constitute lawful objection. For an Order for Change of Name (“Order”) to be granted, the Court must find compliance with the requirements for the allegations in the Application. The Court must also find good and sufficient reasons for the change and also find it consistent with the public interest.

Virginia Name Change Forms for an Adult

All required forms and more detailed instructions are available $29.95

You cannot change your name for a fraudulent reason, such as to avoid debts. You cannot change to a name that could affect the rights of another person, such as a celebrity, and you cannot use a curse word as part of your name.



Certain requirements exist which must be met before you can file for a name change and/or during the name change process in Virginia. These requirements include:

  • You must have lived within the Commonwealth of Virginia and in the County or City in which you will be filing your Application for at least six (6) months immediately prior to filing.
  • You must file in the Circuit Court in your County or City of residence.
  • You must be an adult. Following is the age of majority, as taken directly from Title 1 General Provisions, Chapter 2 Common Law, Statutes and Rules of Construction, § 1-13.42 – Age of majority, of the Virginia Code, “(4) (b) For the purposes of all laws of the Commonwealth including common law, case law and statutory law, unless an exception is specifically provided in this Code, a person shall be an adult, shall be of full age and shall reach the age of majority when he becomes eighteen (18) years of age.”
  • You must have proper and reasonable cause for the requested change of name.
  • You are not changing your name to avoid debts or to defraud creditors or anyone else.


In Virginia, an adult may change their name by filing an action in the Circuit Court with the appropriate forms. The process for obtaining a name change for an adult in Virginia begins with the filing of an Application with the Circuit Court in the jurisdiction in which the Applicant resides. As indicated above, the Applicant (the person who initiates the suit/application) must have lived within the Commonwealth of Virginia and the County/City in which they will be filing their application in for at least the six (6) months up to the date of filing.

The Application includes personal information as required by statute, such as the Applicant’s name, the Applicant’s place of residence, the Applicant’s date and place of birth, etc. The Application must be acknowledged under oath. After filing the Application and other appropriate forms and paying the required filing fee, if everything is in order (the statutory requirements have been satisfied) and the Court agrees to the intent and nature of the Application, the Court will sign an Order making the name change official. For an Order of name change to be granted, the Court must find sufficient reasons for the change and also find it consistent with the public interest.

In Virginia, most name changes are granted without a hearing. However, you should be aware that formal court hearings are sometimes required, and are almost always required if there is an objection. The contents of the papers you submit to the Court Clerk will determine whether or not a hearing will be required. Only if your background or Application is outrageous, seemingly fraudulent or illegal or, as mentioned above, if there are objections to your Application, will the Clerk likely require a hearing. Otherwise, the Clerk may transfer the Application to the Judge for approval.

The Virginia statute regarding name changes is Virginia Code § 8.01-217. If you are interested in reviewing the Virginia name change statutes/laws, please refer to the Virginia Code at:


Posted in Virginia Name Change | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Virginia Name Change for an Adult: Buy Forms Here

Object to a Name Change

Objecting to a Name Change

Objecting to a Name Change

Sometimes a person wants to object to a name change.  Objecting to a Name Change of another person can be a challenge. A typical example is when one parent objects to a name change of a minor and the other parent disagrees with the name change. Often the consent of the other biological parent is required for a change of name of a minor.

Sometimes a grandparent may object to a name change. In that case, the court will decide what is in the best interest of the child.

In order to object to a name change, you need to have a valid reason and be able to describe the reason in a sworn statement which is called an affidavit. You have to file this affidavit with the Court in your state so that it is considered at the time of the hearing.

You must serve your objection (Affidavit) on the other party so that the other party has notice that you are objecting to a name change.

The procedure for filing an affidavit you object to a name change will vary from state to state, so you need to check on the procedural rules in your state in order to make sure that the name change objection is filed properly. For additional state specific procedural information go to The Name Change Law Center.

Posted in Objecting to a Name Change | Leave a comment

Transgender Name Change: Don’t Forget to Legally Change Your Name

Transgender Name Change

Transgender Name Change

When changing gender do not forget to change your name legally.  Transgender name changes can be easy to do if you follow the procedures carefully. You can do it yourself, using our name change forms and detailed instructions.

Get a Court Order

Note that some states have added additional requirements when trying to change one’s name because of a transgender change. For example, several judges in Virginia have recently scheduled a hearing and asked clients to provide a letter from a medical or mental health provider stating something about the client’s transition at that hearing; the request has always been vague. People have successfully submitted letters similar to the letters used for a gender marker change on a passport or Social Security record, although clients concerned about their privacy should consider submitting a letter with less detail. For more detail on Virginia Name Change  see this Guide and our resource page at the Name Change Law Center.

In Georgia a judge has refused to change the name of a transgender man, saying his choice was too masculine and could be misleading and potentially dangerous.  The rules of changing one’s name , whether it is a transgender name change, or a traditional name change are contained in a state’s statute. State name change statutes are almost all the same and so are the procedures. However these state statutes give the court system and judges discretion to determine whether a name change is appropriate — so expect that this discretion may be exercised in different ways depending on that particular state.

We will continue to track particular state requirements imposed by judges on a state by state basis and post these requirements on the state pages within the Name Law Center Web Site.

Minor Transgender Name Change

If you are a minor you will need the consent of your parents to change your name to reflect your gender identity. Our advice is to change your name to confirm to your identity as soon as possible. Your ability to get a job may be affected because background check information may be inaccurate.  Registration in school may be affected and your school records going forward will not reflect your new name.  Your rights may be affected in legal proceedings if you retain your previous name. In for a transgender person to mainstream into society it is essential that you change your name.

Once you get a court order it is valid proof of your new name going forward and the court order will be accepted at government agencies such as the DMV and the Social Security Office.

Part of the process of changing your gender is changing your name. Don’t overlook this important step.




Posted in Transgender Name Change | Leave a comment

Name Change Forms You Need to Legally Change Your Name

Name Change Forms

Get The Right Name Change Forms

Name change forms required to legally change your name through a court process as known as pleadings.

Court Action

In order to legally change the name of an adult or a minor child, you must file an action in court, and have the Judge approve your change of name. In almost all states this requires a court hearing. Typically, you have to file a motion in court that tells the court why you want to change your name. The Court will review the reason for the name change, and the reason must be authorized by a statute in that state. Sometimes you will have to serve papers on the biological parent of your minor child. Some states require finger printing and other forms of identification. The procedures vary from state to state. It is not as simple as it seems to be.

Make Sure You Get the Right Name Change Forms

Websites that offer Free Name Change Forms that are not the forms that are actually required to change your name in the courts in the state will not be accepted by the court.

For example, RocketLawyer is a website that advertises free name change forms on Google. The forms advertised by RocketLawyer may be free, but they are not the name change forms you will need to change your name in a court.  The “free” form is a Name Change Affidavit, A name change affidavit is used to demonstrate to a government agency or a bank that you have a court order to change your name. It cannot be used to change your name legally.

We think this advertising  is deceptive and misleading because the free form they give you is not sufficient to legally change your name in any court. So make sure when you choose a website that offers name change forms, read the fine print carefully, and make sure you get the name change forms really need to get the job done correctly.

Posted in name changer forms | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Change Your Will – When You Change Your Name – Free Will Included with our Name Change Forms

Free Wills, Power of Attorney, Living WillWhen you change your name, you need to make new versions of your Will, Power of Attorney, and Living Will/Health Care Power of Attorney!  

Here’s Why You Need New Estate Planning Documents

In addition to changing your name on your Social Security card, driver’s license, and bank accounts after you’ve legally changed your name, you also need to change your Will and other estate planning documents to your new name to protect yourself, your family, and your heirs.

If you end up disabled and cannot take care of your financial affairs, your old power of attorney will no longer be valid and won’t be accepted by a financial institution unless you have your new name on it.

If you die unexpectedly, and you don’t have new estate planning documents with your new name on it, it will create all sorts of complications in terms of “probating” your Will and making sure that your heirs receive what you intended them to receive.

Free Will, Power of Attorney and Living Will/Health Care Power of Attorney

Some courts will provide name change forms for free, but here’s what you DON’T get:
1)  a free last Will and testament; 2) a free power of attorney; and 3) a free living will/healthcare power of attorney.

These are critical documents that need to be updated when you change your name.  If you haven’t prepared these documents yet, now’s a great time to do it!  Change your name, and take care of the important decisions that will protect your heirs; make your final wishes known; and protect yourself in the case of disability.

Extra Value When You Purchase Your Name Change Forms from the Name Change Law Center.

When you purchase our name change forms, we add to your secure client portal a free Will, power of attorney, and living will/health care power of attorney. These critical documents are powered by our proprietary document assembly solution which enables to complete an online questionnaire and immediately  print out these documents ready for execution. Detailed execution instructions are also provided.

Free Will With Name Change Forms

Free Will with Name Change Forms

Posted in amend your critical documents | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Celebrities Change Their Names All The Time

There are many celebrities who have changed their name from their given name as part of their personal branding strategy.

For example – did you know that Charlie Sheen’s given name was Carlos Irwin Estevez,  and Elton John’s given name was Reginald Dwight

Natalie Portman’s real name was Natalie Hershlag and Stevie Wonder was born Steveland Judkins

How about Woody Allen, who was born Allen Konigsberg and Pat Benatar real name was Patricia Andrzejewski.  John Denver was born Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.

All of these celebrities decided that a new name would help their careers and their personal brand.

It is not difficult to change your name.

So if you think your given name is holding you back – change it.

If you don’t like your new name you can change it again.

Posted in Celebrity Name Changes | 1 Comment