Navigation for Name Change Law Center

Kansas Name Change Center

The Kansas Name Change Law Center is a resource on changing your name in the State of Kansas for non-lawyers and pro se litigants. Please let us know if we have omitted a link to an important state resource and we will gladly add it.

No-Fault Divorce Products
Marital Separation Agreements

Courts and Community Resources

Glossary of Family Law Terms
Kansas Judicial Branch
Kansas Bar Association
Kansas District Court Rules

Kansas Name Change Law

Chapter 60.-- PROCEDURE, CIVIL

Article 14.-- CHANGE OF NAME

60-1401. Jurisdiction and costs. The district court shall have authority to change the name of any person, township, town or city within this state at the cost of the petitioner without affecting any legal right. History: L. 1963, ch. 303, 60-1401; Jan. 1, 1964.

60-1402. Change of name of person; notice; order. (a) Petition. A petition may be filed in the county in which the petitioner resides stating: (1) That the petitioner has been a resident of the state for at least 60 days, (2) the reason for the change of name, and (3) the name desired.

(b) Notice. Service of notice of the hearing may be made either by mail or by publication, in the discretion of the court. If notice is directed by publication, such notice shall be published as provided in subsection (d) of K.S.A. 60-307, and amendments thereto; and if notice of hearing is directed to be given by mail, service of notice may be made by registered or certified mail to parties of interest, as prescribed by the court.

(c) Order. If upon hearing the judge is satisfied as to the truth of the allegations of the petition, and that there is reasonable cause for changing the name of the petitioner the judge shall so order. History: L. 1963, ch. 303, 60-1402; L. 1974, ch. 240, 1; L. 1979, ch. 184, 1; L. 1990, ch. 202, 12; Jan. 1, 1991.

60-1403. Municipalities. A petition for the change of name of any township, town, or city may be filed in the district court of such county, signed by a majority of the legal voters of such body, setting forth the cause why such change is desirable and the name to be substituted. The court, upon being satisfied by proof that the prayer of the petitioners is just and reasonable, that notice as required in the foregoing section has been given, that the petitioners are legal voters of such township, town, or city and that they desire the change, and that such change will not result in an objectionable confusion of names within the state, may order the change prayed for in such petition. History: L. 1963, ch. 303, 60-1403; Jan. 1, 1964.