Navigation for Name Change Law Center

Maine Name Change Center

The Maine Name Change Law Center is a resource on changing your name in the State of Maine for non-lawyers and pro se litigants. Please let us know if we have omitted a link to an important state resource and we will gladly add it.

No-Fault Divorce Products
Marital Separation Agreements

Courts and Community Resources

Glossary of Family Law Terms
State of Maine Judicial Branch
Pine Tree Legal Assistance

Maine Name Change Law

1-701. Petition to change name

If a person desires to have that person's name changed, the person may petition the judge of probate in the county where the person resides; or, if the person is a minor, that person's legal custodian may petition in the person's behalf, and the judge, after due notice, may change the name of the person and shall make and preserve a record of the name change. The fee for filing the petition is $25. [1997, c. 18, 2 (amd); 6 (aff).]