Georgia Name Change Center

Georgia Name Change Law

Start Your Georgia Name Change Today!

CheckAll the forms you need. Filing instructions also included.
Check100% Court Approval Guarantee.
CheckFREE Will, Power of Attorney & Living Will.
CheckAttorney authored and approved.
CheckTry Before You Buy!
No credit card info needed to start.

Georgia Name Change for an Adult - $29.95
Georgia Name Change for a Minor Child - $29.95
Legal Technician-Prepared GA Name Change for an Adult - $99.95
Legal Technician-Prepared GA Name Change for a Minor Child - $99.95

Your Questions Answered on Changing Your Name:

Have a question about Changing Your Name? Not sure about the law in your state?

Go here to ask our Name Change Specialists or post your question to a community of individuals who have had experience in changing their name. Ask Your Question

Georgia Name Change Law Q and A

Courts and Community Resources

Gwinnett County Court System
Supreme Court of Georgia
Atlanta Legal Aid Society
State Bar of Georgia
Official Code of Georgia

Texas Free Last Will, Living Will, Power of Attorne Included.

GA Name Change - Minor Child

Important Notes:

Certain adults with legal rights regarding the minor child will need to be notified of the proposed legal action. Any non-petitioning parent, managing conservator or legal guardian will need to be notified. The applicant is required to do this even if (s)he has sole custody of the child. Similarly, if the applicant is the child's legal guardian, they will also need to serve the child's parents. Consent should be obtained from any non-petitioning parent who has not terminated their parental rights. NOTE: The written consent of a parent shall not be required if the parent has not contributed to the support of the child for a continuous period of five (5) years or more immediately preceding the filing of the Petition.

Requirements to File a Change of Name for a Minor in Georgia

(George Name Change Requirements for an Adult)

Certain requirements must be met before you can file a name change for a minor child. These requirements include:

  • You (the parent/legal guardian/etc., the "Petitioner") must be an adult.
  • You must file the application for change of name in the county where you and the minor child reside.
  • You must file a certified copy of the minor child's birth certificate with the Petition.
  • You must have proper and reasonable cause for the requested change of name.
  • You are not changing the minor's name to avoid debts, to defraud creditors or to infringe upon the rights of others.
PLEASE REMEMBER!  Our forms are ONLY designed to cover a simple, uncontested name change in which all adults with legal rights regarding the minor child can be notified (meaning their current address/whereabouts is known) and will consent to the child's name change. Our forms and services should not be used if you or the child have been convicted of a crime, have claimed bankruptcy, have judgments or liens against you, are not a U.S. citizen, or you are a registered sex offender.