Navigation for Name Change Law Center

Florida Name Change Center

The Florida Name Change Law Center is a resource on changing your name in Florida.

Start Your Name Change Today!

Visit our dedicated Florida Name Change Law site to buy forms to legally change your name in FL. Our name change kits include:

CheckAll the forms you need. Filing instructions also included.
Check100% Court Approval Guarantee.
CheckFREE Will, Power of Attorney & Living Will.
CheckAttorney authored and approved.

Start Now


You must file your original Petition, with the completed fingerprint card (except where a former name is being restored), with the Clerk of the Circuit Court in the county where you live. You should keep a copy of all documents filed for your records. To find the address of the clerk's office in your County courthouse go to the Florida Counties Information web site at:, or the Florida County Courts web page at:

You can also look in the government (blue) pages of your telephone book. If you need directions to the courthouse or the hours that the courthouse is open, call the Clerk at the number listed in the web site or provided in the phone book.

These forms must be hand delivered or mailed to the Clerk of the Circuit Court in the county where you reside. Hand delivery is preferable so that the Clerk can verify that you have filed all the necessary documents and you are available to answer any questions the Clerk may have.

You will file the following forms with the court:

• Petition for Change of Name (Adult) – with the completed fingerprint card, except where a former name is being restored

• Final Judgment of Change of Name (Adult)

• Civil Case Cover Sheet

• Notice of Hearing (if needed)

• Disclosure From Nonlawyer (if applicable)

(Additional Instructions Within Form Set)

Start Now

Florida Name Change for an Adult - $29.95
Florida Name Change for a Minor Child - $29.95
Legal Technician Prepared FL Adult Name Change - $99.95
Legal Technician Prepared FL Minor Name Change - $119.95
Florida No-Fault Divorce Forms
Florida Marital Separation Agreements

Florida Courts and Community Resources

Florida Court System

FL State Statutory Resources

Florida Statutes

Ask a Name Change Lawyer
19 Lawyers are Online Now.
Ask a question, get an answer ASAP.

Florida Name Change Law

68.07 Change of name.

(1) Chancery courts have jurisdiction to change the name of any person residing in this state on petition of the person filed in the county in which he or she resides.

(2) The petition shall be verified and show:

(a) That petitioner is a bona fide resident of and domiciled in the county where the change of name is sought.

(b) If known, the date and place of birth of petitioner, petitioner's father's name, mother's maiden name, and where petitioner has resided since birth.

(c) If petitioner is married, the name of petitioner's spouse and if petitioner has children, the names and ages of each and where they reside.

(d) If petitioner's name has previously been changed and when and where and by what court.

(e) Petitioner's occupation and where petitioner is employed and has been employed for 5 years next preceding filing of the petition. If petitioner owns and operates a business, the name and place of it shall be stated and petitioner's connection therewith and how long petitioner has been identified with said business. If petitioner is in a profession, the profession shall be stated, where the petitioner has practiced the profession and if a graduate of a school or schools, the name or names thereof, time of graduation, and degrees received.

(f) Whether the petitioner has been generally known or called by any other names and if so, by what names and where.

(g) Whether petitioner has ever been adjudicated a bankrupt and if so, where and when.

(h) Whether petitioner has ever been convicted of a felony and if so, when and where.

(i) Whether any money judgment has ever been entered against petitioner and if so, the name of the judgment creditor, the amount and date thereof, the court by which entered, and whether the judgment has been satisfied.

(j) That the petition is filed for no ulterior or illegal purpose and granting it will not in any manner invade the property rights of others, whether partnership, patent, good will, privacy, trademark, or otherwise.

(k) That the petitioner's civil rights have never been suspended, or if the petitioner's civil rights have been suspended, that full restoration of civil rights has occurred.

(3) The hearing on the petition may be immediately after it is filed.

(4) On filing the final judgment, the clerk shall, if the birth occurred in this state, send a report of the judgment to the Office of Vital Statistics of the Department of Health on a form to be furnished by the department. The form shall contain sufficient information to identify the original birth certificate of the person, the new name, and the file number of the judgment. This report shall be filed by the department with respect to a person born in this state and shall become a part of the vital statistics of this state. With respect to a person born in another state, the clerk shall provide the petitioner with a certified copy of the final judgment.

(5) If the petitioner is a convicted felon, the clerk must, upon the filing of the final judgment, send a report of the judgment to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement on a form to be furnished by that department. The report must contain sufficient information to identify the original criminal record of the petitioner, the new name of the petitioner, and the file number of the judgment. With respect to a person convicted of a felony in another state or of a federal offense, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement must send the report to the respective state's office of law enforcement records or to the office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

(6) A husband and wife and minor children may join in one petition for change of name and the petition shall show the facts required of a petitioner as to the husband and wife and the names of the minor children may be changed at the discretion of the court.

(7) When only one parent petitions for a change of name of a minor child, process shall be served on the other parent and proof of such service shall be filed in the cause; provided, however, that where the other parent is a nonresident, constructive notice of the petition may be given pursuant to chapter 49, and proof of publication shall be filed in the cause without the necessity of recordation.

(8) Nothing herein applies to any change of name in proceedings for dissolution of marriage or for adoption of children.